Monday, September 13, 2010

Viva Espana!


September 5, 2010

Viva Espana! We finally arrived in Cadiz yesterday morning.  Libby and I woke up to watch the boat pull into port at 6:45am.  It was beautiful.  Birds flying on the side of the ship, city lights glowing across the horizon, and everyone was on the deck for this glorious moment.  Once we arrived, Kelly and I went out to explore Cadiz and found a bunch of great stores and restaurants.  We went to get lunch and ran into 10 other people from SAS.  Later a few of us went to the beach.   All the local women were topless and in the smallest bikini bottoms ever.  So different from the United States.  Everyone at home is so conscience about what they look like and their appearance that many would not feel comfortable running around a beach topless and in a thong… But at this beach there were people of all sizes wearing whatever they wanted without any concern of their self-image.  I was really impressed and although it was a little different for me, I respected it (in the least creepy way possible). 

Later that night we went out to dinner next to the restaurant we had lunch at.  Out of the group of 8 we were with, Kelly and I were the only ones who spoke Spanish.  Everyone was really impressed with it too!  I will admit Kelly’s grammar was way better than mine, but I wasn’t afraid to speak at all.  I loved knowing the language, understanding the people in Spain and being able to speak with them.  We finally finished dinner around midnight and waited for the nightlife to being at 1.  It was so different eating dinner so late and going out even later and then getting home in the early morning… But I really enjoyed it and feel like I could have gotten used to it.  Overall I really enjoyed Cadiz, but couldn’t hold my excitement for Barcelona the next day :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment