Monday, September 27, 2010

Au revoir Maroc

September 13th- September 14th 2010

Our Last Days in Morocco

Day 4
When we got back from Marrakech we decided to take a formal tour of the inside of the Mosque Hassan.  They had tours in every language and we were so lucky to find out that there was an English one available when we got there. We had to take our shoes off before going in, but the inside of the Mosque was absolutely beautiful.  The religion professor on SAS happened to be in our group and had gone to Marrakech with us so her and I had bonded for a bit and kept asking the guide questions about the mosque and the Muslim religion as a whole.  We learned about the separation of men and women within the mosque and how different areas are allowed for different sexes.  I also learned that in Morocco women have choices on how they want to cover up (either just covering their head or their entire face).  Our guide considered Morocco a liberal Muslim state where women are given more options and liberties, which I found interesting because I felt as if they were still pretty suppressed by the men.  After the tour I decided to go back to the ship. I still wasn’t feeling to great and wanted to rest as much as I could.

Day 5
On our last day in Morocco I went to go shopping in the morning but unfortunately nothing was open or I had bad luck finding a place to go.  Since it was our last day in Morocco I wanted to shop for more souvenirs, but I did not really have the option.  I met up with some other people and we decided to go to the infamous Rick’s CafĂ© from the movie Casablanca.  This restaurant was only recently put in because of the movie and did not even really serve Moroccan food, but it was fun to go to.  After lunch I saw a small souvenir shop that was open as was able to buy a few more things (I was most excited for my teacups to match my teapot!) 

No comments:

Post a Comment