Sunday, August 29, 2010

The High Seas

August 29, 2010

Hi Everyone! Sorry it has taken me so long to add a new post… I’m only allotted 120 minutes of internet for the entire voyage and blogspot is not necessarily one of the free sites offered.  Plus the past days have been so hectic that I didn’t even start journaling until today.  I have an international plan on my cell phone which gives me free internet access on my phone, email, and BBM but it doesn’t work too well in the middle of the ocean… The best way to reach me is through my SAS email account: apmathies@semesteratsea.net  Although I’m not always at my computer, it is another good way to get in contact with me if you would like ☺  

Anyways back to my adventure.  The last two days are almost a blur, consisting of a lot of meetings and getting to know people.  There are 608 students and almost 60 of those students are from USD! So I never feel too lonely.  The seas are starting to get rough, but I haven’t felt seasick yet (knock on wood!) and we’re supposed to hit a hurricane either Monday or Tuesday.  Other than that it has been great!  During our orientation the other day Archbishop Tutu came and spoke to us for a few moments.  He was amazing.  His energy is contagious and his views of us students on the voyage honestly brought tears to my eyes.  He is so optimistic and knows that each one of us can make a difference and will make a difference in this world.  I am so thankful to have him on this voyage and cannot wait to have the opportunity to sit down with him (my first goal is to finish his book Made for Goodness before speaking with him).

On another note, I had my first two classes today and each professor was very interesting.  It’s funny since most students on this voyage are not used to how small the class sizes are but I am so lucky they are similar to my school with about 30 students in each class! It makes it so much easier for me to learn.  My first class was Global Environmental Politics (aka The End of the World) where we will discuss issues such as sustainability, global warming, famine, and poverty.  The professor, Dr. Zachary Smith, used to do consulting work with the United Nations and also held discussions with the government of the Soviet Union about environmental issues before the fall of the Iron Curtain.  Pretty interesting.  My second class was Global Studies, a course everyone on the ship has to take.  It is very similar to an Introduction in Political Science course, making it both interesting and a little easier for me.  Last but not least, I’m signing up with a friend of mine to teach a Yoga Flow class on the ship! I practiced yoga a lot over the summer so hopefully with both of our knowledge we can make the class work out.  The hardest part is how much the ship moves around… so we will see how it goes ☺

Peace and Love,
Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment